Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Ma


Yesterday I paid a visit to my personal "bodhi tree" in our neighbourhood park. I don't pretend that I'll suddenly become enlightened if I sit there often or long enough, but it's a favourite place of mine to just sit and ponder life, nature, the Universe, or nothing at all. There's a labyrinth nearby where I can watch the occasional visitor slowly walk the path to the centre and back out again. All in all, my little corner of the park is a good place to be still for a while.
Anyway, as I sat under my tree, my thoughts wandered to my late mother, who died ten years ago on a blue moon. I often think about her when I'm surrounded by green and growing things, because she was an avid gardener. The front deck at the family cottage was always festooned with a riot of colourful, trailing petunias. Since the bright colours attracted hummingbirds, Ma kept a feeder of sugar-water out for them, just feet away from where we sat. Whenever I see a hummingbird now, I'm always reminded of my mother.
So there I was, wistfully thinking of my mother, when, for no apparent reason, I turned my head to look behind me, and saw a ruby-throated hummingbird hovering in and amongst a bunch of black-eyed Susans. I saw it only moments before it darted away, no doubt seeking better nectar. It's the first time ever that I've seen a hummingbird in the park, but not the first time Ma has "appeared" to me when I've been thinking about her. I don't know for certain why I looked behind me at that moment, but I've a pretty good idea. Suffice it to say, I'm glad I did. Thanks, Ma.
- G.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment