Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Day in the Sun

A magnificent sunbow graced my view as I sat on the back patio a few days ago. It was a new moon. I was awaiting the arrival of my friend, Doe, to come and help me celebrate my birthday. It was probably the last time I'd be sitting in the back yard this season, because it was an unseasonably mild day for mid-November.
I wasn't doing anything but sitting in the sun and enjoying being still. And breathing, of course. (See previous entry.) It was just past mid-afternoon, but the sun was already low in the sky. Then I saw it, on the right side of the sun - a partial, vivid sunbow, or sun dog, as it is also known. It displayed all the colours of the spectrum. It looked like a rainbow turned on its side. It remained in sight for almost ten minutes. I've seen sunbows before, but seldom as colourful as this one.
I like to think that I appreciate beauty and wonder any time they are present, but if the time happens to be significant as well, I put a magical spin on the whole experience. So what little spin did I put on my most recent encounter with one of nature's wonders? Easy! Rainbows mean hope, rebirth and new beginnings, especially after a storm. New moons signify endings and beginnings as well. And birthdays, unless you're a miserable, life-hating curmudgeon, should be a day to celebrate life - specifically your life. (I get the "I celebrate life everyday" argument a lot from those who moan and groan whenever their birthdays roll around. I have found that those kind of people are usually the last ones who genuinely celebrate life. But I digress...)
Sitting alone, breathing, feeling the remaining rays of sun warm my face, and watching the sunbow shift and shimmer with such subtlety and nuance, was a quiet, soft and solitary experience. Those precious moments would have been memorable at any time, but it wasn't just any time. Timing may not be everything, but it matters. As a result, my pleasure and memory of that incident were enhanced. I'll always remember the time and the place and what happened on that day. And more importantly, I'll remember what it meant to me.
- G.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment