Monday, January 4, 2010

Gaudeamus

The way I begin anything - whether it's an ordinary day or week, a creative project, a journey, a relationship, a story, or any of the myriad other things in life that have a beginning, middle and end - sets the tone for the duration of whatever I've begun.
For the past few weeks I've made a point of being very aware of what I did to mark all the beginnings and endings that make up the end-of-year holiday season. The Winter Solstice and New Year's Eve indicate the beginning of winter and a new year respectively. Significantly, this past New Year's Eve was on a blue moon, which is the second full moon of a calendar month. (The next blue moon on a new year's eve will be in 2028.) It was a special night, for sure. And as if that weren't enough to celebrate, the full moon was shining on the eve of a new decade! There was much reason to make merry that night, and the pull of the full moon only added to the joyous lunacy. So yes, I was very aware of how my first hours and days went for me as the season, year, and decade turned over. So far, so good.
I celebrated Christmas with my family. I spent some of the time with my beloved aunt, Gita Tant, and her daughter Laura (my cousin). There's always something to look at in Gita's home, because her large, rambling country house is filled to the rafters with all kinds of art. My late Uncle Talis (Gita's husband) was an artist, as is his daughter, cousin Laura. So there I was, on Boxing Day, fascinated by several plastic skulls that Laura had bejewelled with beads and sequins in a riot of colours. Instead of sporting the accustomed ghastly leer, each of the fabulous skulls looked as if it were laughing. I would have enjoyed those crazy dead-heads at any time, but I couldn't help revelling in the perfect synchronicity of seeing them as 2009 drew to a close. The festive skulls reminded that when we celebrate the arrival of a new year, we are also marking the passing of the old one. And what a way to celebrate. When Laura creates her installations, she plays with a multitude of colour and texture, and her skulls are no exception. In fact, Laura has named her series of gaudy skulls "For the Love of Gaud."
The word gaudy comes from the Latin gaudeo, gaudere, which means to rejoice, to celebrate. That which is gaudy, by definition, is rejoicing in itself. Laura's skulls were fairly shouting at me to rejoice in the fleeting moment and the passing year. They were a reminder that with death comes rebirth.
A new cycle begins. Celebrate it.
I've never had the joy or privilege to see something designed or created by the Spanish architect Antoni Gaudi, but I certainly enjoy looking at photographs of his magnificent buildings and mosaics. No straight lines or grey concrete for Gaudi, no sir. He plays with space, line, texture, and colour like no other architect I know. (Mind you, I don't know that many.) His creations aren't just visually stunning, they're joyous. They're fun. What else could they be with a name like Gaudi? It literally means rejoice and celebrate.
I've made a good start to the year and decade by focussing on all the big and little things that happened in the beginning, and making them count, making them memorable. I spent some time in quiet reflection, and I spent time in being loud and silly and having fun. I rejoiced alone, and with family and friends. I deliberately began the new decade the way I want it to continue. I created momentum. (from the Latin momentum, meaning "movement, moving power." Also the root of the English word moment.) Now all I have to do is go with it. I know all the days to come this year or decade won't be a party, but I've started well, and celebrated heartily. That's how I want to live my life. And if I want to be gaudy and live out loud, I will.
- G. P.

No comments:

Post a Comment