Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Magic of Science

The world is full of wonders, but it becomes even more wondrous when there is science to help us appreciate it. I suppose that may seem strange coming from a putative magical thinker like me, and I suppose the oxymoronic title of this blurb might offend some. But I've clearly stated in my mandate for this little web of mine that nothing I believe goes against proven physical laws of nature. Some of what I believe hasn't been proven to be true or false - yet. And that's as far as I go with my magical thinking. Mind you, that's pretty far, because it's an immeasurably vast Universe and there's so much we have yet to learn. And how are we learning it? Through science, through the study of the natural world, and inner and outer space. Through biology, neuroscience, physics, astronomy, chemistry, geology, and numerous other disciplines and branches of science. Humanity is able to probe deeper and farther than ever before. The strides made in the last 100 years in science and technology are greater than in all of previous history. What an exciting age we live in.
I enjoy reading popular science books. I want to know how things work, at least at my basic science 101 level. I need to understand fundamental principles, the how of things, before I can ponder the why of things. The latter is much more my purview, mostly because I'm a writer, actor and storyteller, and not a scientist. I'm often more comfortable living in my imagination than I am in the real world. But when the real world out there takes my breath away with its splendour and wonder, and it frequently does, I want to understand it. I want to learn about it. I want to be able to name whatever natural phenomenon has caught my fancy. If I can do that, then I'm able to explain why I'm awestruck. That's when I'm able to share my wonder, to talk about it in comprehensible language. Understanding how something works has never diminished my awe. Indeed, it magnifies it.
I'm a bit of a white-knuckle flier. I can't wrap my head around the fact that I'm sitting in thousands of tons of metal that manages to get off the ground and fly thousands of feet up into the stratosphere. Even my nascent understanding of thrust and lift and trajectory does nothing to quell my fears. But my awe and respect for the people who designed and made these feats of engineering is increased when I realize how much knowledge and expertise they have in order to do what they do.
Knowing that the sweet sounds of the cicada's buzz in high summer is coming from creatures who have spent 17 years underground makes their sound even more special, and yes, more magical to me. Somebody studied these creatures over many years to determine their life cycle. The patience and dedication required to do long-range studies of anything inspires me.
The English word science is derived from the Latin scientia, meaning knowledge. The axiom "knowledge is power" pretty much describes for me why I love science. I feel stronger and more capable when I know what's happening. Doesn't everybody? Imagine the fear when superstitious ancient peoples gazed up at a solar eclipse or a comet. Now we can enjoy the sight of those astronomical wonders without all the widespread panic.
Every time I understand something about the natural world and the vast reaches of outer or inner space just a lttle bit better, even at my lowly level, another piece of this grand puzzle we call life falls into place. That's when I start to muse about things unseen, unknown, and unexplained - so far.
But all the things that fascinate me will only ever be properly understood through scientific study. I probably won't be around when some of the big questions about the nature of existence are finally and fully explained in one big, fat unified theory, but it's thrilling to be a part of the ride.
- G.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment