Thursday, October 13, 2011

oh dear

This morning I washed my shower stall. And then I had a long, hot, soapy shower myself. So what? you may ask. Well, my response to that, whether you asked the question or not, is that this morning's ablutions weren't just your run-of-the-mill morning rituals. I washed away a lot of anger as I scrubbed down the walls of the shower stall with my environmentally-friendly, all-purpose, bathroom cleaner. This happy, psychological by-product wasn't just a result of working out undesirable emotions with good, old-fashioned hard work, because I really put some muscle power into it; it was my intention to wash away my anger. Even though I have a lot going for me these days, I found myself waking up angry because that's how I went to bed last night. So I marched into the shower and scrubbed it all away. Right now I'm writing what's left of my anger out of my system. And I do, indeed, feel better.
Skeptics may say that it was the exercise and hot water that drained my negativity, and had nothing to do with what I was thinking. Sure, those things are very effective for soothing the savage breast, and I used them to good effect, but I made them even more effective by imagining my anger going down the drain with the hot, soapy water. One of my gifts is a vivid imagination, and I used it this morning as I watched the angry scum - or was it scummy anger? - dissolve with each hard scrub of the brush. I killed my angry thoughts with imagination. It was one kind of thought overpowering another.

This blurb isn't over. I'll finish it later. I could, of course, put it in my draft folder, but it's my little web and I'll publish an unfinished blurb if I want to...

Okay. It's several days later, and I'm back to finish what I started. So where was I?
I was ruminating on the power of thought, the power of imagination. My imagination has sometimes saved my life. Although that's not literally true, (but it might be, how would I know for sure?) it's certainly helped me through some pretty rough times.
So if I have to imagine my anger going down the drain in order to purge myself, then that's what I'll do. That's how actors make a living, and I'm an actor. That very same use of the imagination also applies to life off-stage as well. The same tools that help me create a flesh and blood character on stage can be used to create who I am in real life, too.
Anyway, I was pretty much out of steam for this particular little blurb when I logged back on just now. But I wanted to finish it, so I came back to it. I've observed that the way I do one thing is pretty much the way I do everything, not necessarily with the degree of skill, but with the application of commitment and focus. So as lame as this ending is, I'm stopping now.
See you soon.
- G.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment