Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Natural Hearing Aid

My ability to hear isn't what it used to be, mostly due to advancing years.  Loss of hearing doesn't happen to the same degree for everybody as they age, but if you live long enough, your hearing will deteriorate.  I suspect that I might be a bit ahead of some people my age in regards to loss of hearing.  And I don't say that casually, believe me.
Listening is one of my favourite pastimes, and the thought that one day I might not be hearing things as well as I do now really bugs me.  A lot.  However, I have a plan to retard the process.  I'm going to talk less, and listen more.  Sound familiar?  Of course it does, because I say that all the time, right here on my little web.  And I have no intention to stop thinking or writing about it because I want to save myself from becoming completely deaf.  I honestly believe that I can do that by listening more and by paying more attention.
I learned very recently that listening can be done with the whole body (refer to previous blurb), and that stillness and quiet, both within and without, are important in the practise of deep listening. Deep listening isn't just done with your ears; it's done with your mind, your heart, and your entire body.  Our posture, facial expressions, and intentions are aids to good listening.
Over the years I've observed that older people who have a history of talking a lot, or too much, or who don't listen, or find ways to make any conversation about themselves, no matter how unrelated (and that's a real talent, believe me), develop hearing loss sooner and to a greater degree than their more taciturn, attentive peers.  Funny how that works.  So imagine my dismay when I realised I'm already experiencing hearing loss.  Yikes!  That's why I've made a vow to ramp up the listening, and to ease up on the talking even more than I already have.  I figure it'll be easier to keep it up now that I'm trying to save my auditory senses.  If anything will shut me up fast, it'll be the thought that one day I might be severely hearing impaired if I don't.  And if you don't understand how I can possibly think that listening more attentively will improve my hearing, then you must be new to my little web.  So welcome.
Anyway, thanks for listening, and blessed be.
- G. P.

No comments:

Post a Comment