Thursday, June 12, 2014

Apples and Oranges

I have OCD - Obsessive Comparison Disorder.  My habit of comparing myself to other people is a source of discontent.  It renders me feeling either lesser than or better than, and never simply good with who I am.  When I see truly unfortunate folks in unfortunate situations, I realise just how lucky I am, but that's not a result of comparing myself to them.  That sort of gratitude kicks in when life shows me what real misery and misfortune is like.  On those occasions I am glad to say I feel genuine compassion, and say a small prayer of thanks for the blessings I have.  Unfortunately, those reality checks aren't as frequent as my bouts of OCD.
Recently I read a quote, attributed to Theodore Roosevelt, that put things into perspective for me.  Suddenly I knew how to deal with my OCD.  Now, whenever I compare myself to others, I remember this quote.  It's an instant fix.  I just keep repeating the words when needed, and voilà, I`m in a better headspace.  So without further ado, here are words of wisdom that make me feel a whole lot better about who I am, without comparison to anyone but the person I used to be...
Comparison is the thief of joy.
- G. P.

No comments:

Post a Comment