Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Cosmic Spring

Today is a very special Vernal Equinox, because this year it falls on a full moon.  That's a double dose of natural magic to lighten my spirits.  I could really use a break from "real" life.  That's not to say that vernal equinoxes and full moons aren't a part of real life, but they're integral to living a magical life as well. 
Although I've had more than my fair share of magic recently, not all of it's been good.  I've had a few experiences lately that were in-my-face bummers.  (See previous post.)  But the confluence of two celestial events is a very powerful, positive distraction from the mind-stuff that's been dragging me down.  Planet Earth and the Universe trump the petty concerns of a solitary human being any day of the millennium.  Sometimes it feels great to be so small.  
I don't want to insult my vast readership's intelligence with explanations of why spring equinoxes and full moons are festive occasions for those of us who are magically inclined, but please forgive me for citing a few reasons anyway...  The two aforementioned events, especially when they happen together, represent beginnings, growth, fertility, abundance, maturity, activity and opportunity. 
So today I'm celebrating natural magic and cosmic connection.  That's another way of saying I celebrate science.*  (*from Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge.")  Let the materialist scientists scoff.  They're missing out on the poetry of the connections and patterns woven into the Universe.  It's more than simply an "interesting coincidence" to me.  Although I can explain how these events happen on a purely  physical level, I'm also able to see the magic of it all.  And if that makes me some sort of misguided flake, then so be it.  At least it lifts me out of morbid self-absorption.  It's a relatively benign way to self-medicate.
I don't identify with any organised religion, and prefer not to express overt nationalist feelings.  I like to think of myself as a citizen of the Cosmos, which makes me Cosmopolitan* in the truest sense of the word.  (*from the Greek cosmos, for "order, beauty." )  Today I cheerfully ponder the beauty and poetry inherent in all of Creation. 
Ancient peoples were adept at reading the patterns and movements of the earth and the sky.  They learned how to live in harmony with Nature, and flow with the cycle of the seasons.  It was a reciprocal relationship.  As long as they obeyed her laws, she agreed to do their bidding.  This knowledge (science) has been long forgotten and humankind is now paying a heavy price.


I feel fortunate and privileged to be a bearer of this knowledge.  Such is my faith.  I revere the Universe and care for Nature as best I can.  Spring is my favourite season and I'm grateful that it's finally and officially here.  This time of year, more than any other, gives me hope that warmer, brighter, better days are coming.  That's science.  The healing effects of sun and burgeoning life can't be overstated.  That's science, too.  I can hardly wait to sit outside and feel the healing rays of the sun shine upon my upturned face.  Nature is the best healer of all.
It's been a very long, hard winter.  I've never been more ready for the miracle of new life to begin.  That's why I welcome and honour this first day of Spring and the full moon that presides.  It doesn't matter if you're a follower of the Old Ways or not, it's a cosmic coincidence that bodes well for us all. 
So mote it be.
- g.p.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said. I have been outside most of the day revelling in the new feel of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, a great post worth reading many times....

    ReplyDelete