Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Greatest Story Ever Told

Mother Earth always has the last word. She always will. Earth will be around for a long time yet to come, because she won't go until the sun does with a great super nova blast. But what kind of shape will earth be in when that happens? Will any humans be left? Humanity has to take some responsibility for that. The
earth does not sit idly by as we do whatever we please to her. She responds in kind. And what people don't seem to understand is that she is ultimately greater and stronger than we are, despite all our advanced technology.
The Icelandic volcano with the polysyllabic, unpronounceable name has brought much of the western world to a standstill. Jets and airplanes have been grounded for a week now. People have been stranded at airports far away from their homes or their vacation and business destinations. The airline industry is losing millions of dollars a day. All this because of a magnifcent, potentially deadly manifestation of Mother Nature. I love it.
Don't get me wrong. I certainly don't want any horrifying accidents, deaths or illnesses to happen as a result of the spectacular show Mother Earth is putting on. It's just that I'm in complete awe of how she can stop us in our tracks with a single display of her power.
I'm not personally or immediately affected by the volcano. I'm not travelling anywhere by air, and by the time the ashes reach my part of the world on the jet stream, they will be rendered relatively harmless. So I'm just enjoying the show and appreciating a fascinating, dramatic chapter in the grand and mythic story of this magnificent planet.
Mother Nature rules. She's not always gentle or benign, but she is completely impartial, and her latest display of power is a reminder of that. That is why she is my deity, and why the book she writes is my bible.
- G.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment