Friday, September 23, 2011

Another First Day

Happy Autumnal Equinox!
I could not let this day go by without writing on my little web and wishing any well-wishers an auspicious first day of fall.
It's truly a first day of fall for me. It's a little bit sad due to some personal things in my life, but it's mostly good. Still, I'd be in denial to ignore the sad things that happen or pass through life. T
hat makes it a perfect metaphor for the first day of this happy-kind-of-sad season, at least for yours truly.
I have much to look forward to, as one does on the first day of anything. But there are also things that I worry and wonder about, things I know are inevitable and not necessarily
welcome. Death is one of those things. This is the time of year that heralds the arrival of death. But with death, I'm glad to say, renewal will come, sooner or later, in one form or anther.
It's really piss-pouring rain outside as I write this. It's a not-so-gentle reminder that tears must fall. But it's still very beautiful. There are trees turning colour in a safe, peaceful, familiar scene just outside my window. It's a contemplative moment that I'm daring to share with others.
Not all peaceful moments are without sadness. This day reminds me of that very clearly. But there is beauty in sadness, too. (And please, I'm not talking about shock or grief, at least not on an immediate, personal level.) I associate sadness with quietude, and that's where I am right now. Some of this time I have right now is sad, but not so bad. It is what it is etc etc and all that.
So here's to the Autumnal Equinox. It's a First Day, and I'm into first days big time. I have a lot to look forward to, as well as my share of things that must come even if I don't want them to. That pretty much describes this season for me. I'm learning to embrace that fact of life. That's good, too, because it will always come and I can't change that.
So my wish for any good souls who come by this way is to have a glorious fall, and a good and peaceful life, and death in its own, good time.
So mote it be.
- G. P.

No comments:

Post a Comment