Saturday, June 1, 2013

Wear Purple and Walk Tall

I was addressed as "Miss" this morning.  That's unusual these days, because I've been hearing "Ma'am" for many years now.  On the odd occasion, as happened this morning, I do get Miss, and it always makes my day.  I consider myself a feminist (and yes, despite the fact that it's out of fashion, I still like and use the word), so I ought not to be concerned with appearances, especially in regards to my gender.  At my age I'm supposed to be above and beyond all that.  But I'm not.
I know this makes me sound shallow and vain, but right now I don't care, and what's more, I admit to feeling that way more and more as I get older.  However, my vanity does serve to keep me looking as good as I can, which isn't such a bad thing.  My obsession with my looks keeps me healthy by practising yoga and eating well, balanced by frequent indulgences in things that aren't so good for me.
I also become conscious of my looks when I see people carrying themselves poorly (read unattractively) or being unaware of how their deportment doesn't just look bad, it's bad for them.  So what's that to do with me?  Well, it makes me aware of how I'm looking.  Am I slouching? Schlepping?  Dragging my feet?  Picking my nose?  You get the picture, and so does anybody else who happens to be looking.  Fortunately for me, but unfortunately for the person I'm observing, when I see someone who's moving, standing or sitting in a way that's detrimental to their health, I'm pulled right back into my own body and make an internal check on how I'm looking.  It happens a lot, because there are a lot of people out there who don't seem to notice their bad physical habits.  As a result, I'm constantly realigning myself, which, as I've already mentioned, is good for me.
Look at the people around you, especially older ones.  Their youthfulness, or lack thereof, isn't determined so much by their wrinkles or loss of muscle tone, but their carriage.  In yoga, the measure of a person's age is determined by the condition of their spine.  So if I'm feeling and looking with-it enough to elicit a "Miss" from someone, rather than the usual "ma'am," I'm flattered, not offended.  I don't immediately assume I'm not commanding the respect of a mature, experienced woman, but have given the impression of being youthful rather than young.  It usually happens when I'm wearing vivid colours or prints, which might be considered slightly eccentric or cute.  Even old people can be cute without being gaga or in their second childhood.
So yes, this blurb is about something as ostensibly superficial as appearances and obsession with youth.  But I wanted to have my say on this topic because I couldn't help noticing how a one-syllable word changed my mood.  It proved to me that even when my energy's low, I can still walk tall. 
When it comes to lifting one's spirits, artifice isn't always superficial.
- G.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment