Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Purple Power

I've gone purple - not all of me, just my hair.  I know that's not unique or original any more - like you know, it's so last week - but this is my first foray into purpledom.  I spent three and a half hours at the hair dresser's, and a scary amount of money to do it.  But it was worth it, because I really like it.  And it seems other people do, too.
The day after my dip into the purple pool I was taking a stroll in my neighbourhood.  As I passed a couple of women who looked to be about my vintage, one of them raised a friendly fist in solidarity and shouted "I love your hair!"  A few hours later I was walking by a high school where numerous adolescents lay strewn across the school yard, and suddenly one of the the guys hailed me with "You've got cool hair, random lady."  Random, indeed.
The longer I live the more I'm attracted to the colour purple, and consequently, the more purple things I acquire.  (N.B.  To keep what I own to a minimum, I always liberate at least two items for every new one I acquire.)  Anyway, this purple habit of mine is not happening consciously just to play out a popular poem from the sixties that begins When I am an old woman I shall wear purple.  But I can't help noticing that it's happening, consciously or not.
Purple is the colour associated with the top of the head - the crown chakra.  (Each of the seven chakras has a corresponding colour of the spectrum.)  It's the most spiritual of the colours and associated with wisdom, insight, creativity, and clairvoyance.  It's also regarded as a colour of royalty, whose members supposedly have the wisdom and insight to rule.  (hmm...)  As a result of the aforementioned attributes, purple is seen worn by the Crone in numerous images, which is a nice departure from her more traditional black.
Now that I'm officially ensconced in cronehood, both chronologically and physically, I find it very curious that purple has now supplanted green as my favourite colour.  It's happened gradually and I swear I didn't do it on purpose to join some fashionable trend.  If anything, that would be a reason for me to avoid it.  All I know for sure is that purple makes me happy these days.  It's a small, silly pleasure.  When I'm feeling a little blue, I google "purple" and look at the images that come up. It lifts my spirits.
So for my legion of lovely, faithful followers - purple is also associated with loyalty - I've included a couple of cool images that evoke the power of purple.  Enjoy.
- G.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment