Thursday, March 20, 2014

First Days and Fresh Starts

Happy Vernal Equinox!  I'm writing these few words hoping  that doing something productive at this auspicious time will set the tone for the whole season.  It doesn't matter that I've nothing of real interest or importance to say, it's the effort that matters.  And believe me, it's taking a lot of effort for me to do this, because I'm still feeling the effects of a long, hard winter that refuses to go away.
Almost two weeks ago we had a day that held the promise of spring, and I felt like a completely different person - happy, hopeful, and spirited.  I still have hope that I'll be that way again, because spring is surely coming, despite the dull, grey skies and lingering, winter chill in the air.  The earth continues to tilt on its axis towards the sun, and shall continue to do so until the summer solstice.  And the closer it leans towards the sun, the warmer the weather will be.  Thank Goddess for these constants.
Writing on this little web of mine isn't the only thing that I'm doing to establish a pattern for better days.  Today I've thrown out garbage, refilled the bird feeder, watered my jade plant (it didn't need it, but it's a symbolic gesture), and filled out an application for another performance project I'd like to do.  I've done all these things with the intention that this spring, like all springs, is about clearing out and letting go, rejuvenation and rebirth, growth and productivity.
Now I'm going to soak in a hot, soapy, lavender-scented tub.  That will remind me of the warmest and most peaceful nine months I've spent on this plane of existence.  I won't have to do anything but breathe and feel my heart beat.  For the brief time I spend in the bathtub, doing nothing but feeling soft and safe in warm water, nothing on the outside affects me.  
There.  I've done it.  I've written a few words about the symbolic little acts I'm performing to mark this day.  Okay, I know, it's a pretty ordinary day and nothing to really write about, let alone read, but it's a start, and spring is all about fresh starts.
Blessed be.
- G. P.

No comments:

Post a Comment