Friday, January 1, 2016

Enter Stage Right

Entrances matter to me.  There are all kinds of entrances - making an entrance, walking through an entrance, writing an entry, entering a new year. They mark the beginning of things.  They set a tone.  They are symbolic of whatever follows.  So I'm writing this entry as I enter the New Year.  I haven't written anything in this little web of mine for almost three months.  But today, the first day of 2016, is the perfect time to resume a semi-regular writing routine.  Gossamer Penwyche has re-entered the blogosphere. 
I also care about the appear-ance of the entrance to where I'm living or staying, because it's the first thing I see upon entering my home or lodgings.  If it's been a long, hard day, and I'm feeling muddle-headed, I like the hallway to be clean and clear.  After a hectic day, entering a cluttered vestibule does nothing to improve my mood.  Coming into chaos is no way to empty the mind. 
For several years now I've been troubled by the increasingly cluttered front doorway of the house where I live.  I stopped dropping hints to my housemate/landlady about clearing out the books and newspapers that have been piling up over the six years I've been there.  It only causes arguments.  So for several weeks leading up to this New Year's I was fretting more than usual about  the clutter in the entrance, which was reaching critical mass. 
Clearing "stuff" out of one's life is one of the most effective ways to begin anew, and I was worried that my entry into 2016 was going to be littered with bad signs.  Then fate made a welcome entrance.  Yesterday, on December 31, my housemate moved a lot of the stuff from the front hallway to a pantry in the back room, well out of sight.  I hadn't said anything to her.  I didn't dare.  She just up and cleared the space on her own.  So when I entered my home on New Year's Eve, the tiny hallway was as free and clear of clutter as it's ever been.  It was the best sign I could possibly have received upon beginning a brand new year. 
My housemate has no idea how deeply grateful I am for the gift she gave me.  It left me feeling so light of heart that observing the first day of the year by being and becoming the best possible me was a breeze, and culminated in this long overdue entry on my little web.  And for that I'm grateful, too.
I've entered the new year on the right footing and in the right frame of mind.  I can read the signs as they guide me on my way to the rest of my life, and Goddess willing, the best of my life.
Blessed be.
- G.P.

1 comment:

  1. Always really like reading your little posts, Gossamer! :)

    ReplyDelete