Thursday, March 7, 2013

Just Breathe

I've been waiting a long while for inspiration.  That's why I haven't written anything here for so long - I haven't been inspired to do so.  Nothing that seemed worth sharing has come to mind.  My reasons for having this little web include imparting at least a little wisdom from what I've lived and learned.  But just because I haven't blurbed for a while doesn't mean I haven't been living and learning.  It's just that nothing I've learned has amused me enough to write about it.
At least that's what I thought.  But it finally occurred to me a short while ago, just before sitting down to write this, that as long as I live and breathe I'm inspired.  That's right - to live is to breathe, and to breathe means to be inspired, literally.  The word inspire is derived from the Latin word inspirare, which means "to breathe in."  And the English word spirit comes from the Latin spiritus, meaning "breath."  So as long as I'm breathing I'm being inspired.  I'm filling myself up with the breath of life.
The first breath we ever take is an inhalation, and our very last breath is an exhalation.  When we die we release our last breath.  We let go of our spirit.
Whenever I'm bored or my muse seems to be napping, I take a few slow, deep breaths and appreciate the mere act of breathing.  In my books that's pretty much the same as appreciating life. Now that's inspiring.
- G. P.

No comments:

Post a Comment