Thursday, April 11, 2013

Not for the Magically Challenged

It's happened again.  Just now, as I was keeping a lid on my extreme agitation while powering up my computer, it acted up and refused to work - this time in a way I've never seen before.  It basically wouldn't allow me to log on.  And I couldn't reboot or shut down because absolutely no icons appeared on my desktop.  I had to hit the power button instead.  Wrong way out, but that's all that was available to me.
Being the technopeasant that I am, my only solution was to calm down and breathe deeply.  It worked, which is why I'm able to sit here and write this now.
I know what most of you are thinking... Yeah, right.  It has nothing to do with the fact that you know squat about computers.  Maybe it's because you're a computer idiot!  Okay.  I understand your point of view.  But it doesn't explain why this never fails to happen when I'm  hyper-tense and twitchy.  And now your'e probably thinking But don't you think that your distraction might be causing you to make mistakes or hit a wrong key?  Well, actually, no, I don't.  Because I'm not capable of doing anything more sophisticated on a computer than turn off and on, point and click.  The problem this morning started after I turned the computer on.  And I've got the "turn on" function down pat.  Really I do.
I know I'm right about this when-I'm-twitchy-so-is-my-computer thing.  More accurately, I feel I'm right.  I feel it in my body.  Maybe it's a chemical thing.  Or some crazy kind of wiring in my brain.  I don't know and I don't get it.  But as soon as I returned to normal heart rate, deep breathing and cleared my brain of excess anger - as opposed to the normal level of irritation involved when I'm dealing with computer glitches - things went back to normal.  And this wasn't the first time, either.
So what have I learned from all this?  Well, now I know not to use a computer when I'm keeping a lot of stuff in my head that's messing me up.  I'll clear it away by breathing, meditating or taking a brisk walk before I sit down at my laptop, or any other computer for that matter - because it's happened at work, too.  (see "Tuned In and Turned On," 3/3/12)
The body is a bio-chemical machine run by a sophisticated computer called the brain.  If the chemistry or wiring gets messed up, why shouldn't it effect other systems it might be interfacing with, or at least in close proximity to?  (sorry for ending two clauses with prepositions)  My mother once told me that when she was going to meet up with an old flame of hers after 35 years, her watch didn't work for the entire three days she was in the city where he lived.  Once she left town, her watch started to work again.  I can't explain it.  But there is an explanation.  I'm not smart enough to come up with it, and most of the people who are, i.e. scientists, are afraid to try.  Kudos to those brave, exiled, scientific souls who do.
All I know for sure is that my body is smarter than my brain.  And it's not giving away its secrets - for now.  That's the mysterious part of this whole technological, scientific conundrum.  And that's the one and only thing, but it's a BIG thing, that I've enjoyed about all this fuss.  And until somebody gives me a better explanation for it, I'll call it magic.
- G. P.

No comments:

Post a Comment